Friday, January 22, 2010

It Takes a Long Time to Grow an Old Friend – John Leonard

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute they meet you than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years." ~ Richard Bach

It was a sunny September morning in 1979 when Day One of First Grade at St. John’s the Evangelist Roman Catholic School started. The administration decided it would be easiest to seat the class in alphabetical order. That meant, at the time, that Miss Theresa Dettor would sit next to Miss Jennifer Egan. The administration realized about three days later that they had made a HUUUUGE mistake.

Theresa and I are attending a fundraising event for our high school tomorrow night (Bingo Night). It’s the one time of year that many of our classmates get together to catch up. Theresa lives about 90 minutes away from me (which is certainly no excuse for the infrequency of our contact) but life is fast-paced these days, so it’s pretty much the norm for the busy family in 2010.

I called Theresa to ask her one simple question about tomorrow night’s timeline and we ended up chatting, reminiscing, and laughing hysterically about life events, both new and not-so-new, for over an hour. There were so many stories, and so little time, we kept saying that we’d “catch up about that tomorrow night”. God help the other 6 people at our table if we actually get to any of those stories.

The fact is, I could spend a week with Theresa and never truly get “caught up”. Our history is too long, with too many memories, and too many stories. I wish we lived in the same neighborhood so we could share a cup of coffee every morning. Every time I talk to her, I have a grin on my face during the entire conversation, and for many hours afterwards. Theresa brings happiness to my life!

I hope and pray that Isabelle finds a friend in her life that makes her smile as much as Theresa does for me. And I want to teach her that you don’t make friends, you earn them. That is a quote I found (which is anonymous from what I understand) but I think it’s an important lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment