Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Attention Merriam-Webster


Izzi had her first marshmallow a few months ago at Aunt Jamie and Uncle Jeff's house. The gang enjoyed them roasted over a fire pit they had in their backyard on a cool Autumn night.

I wasn't there that night with Ed & Izzi so I wasn't aware she had been exposed to her first taste of these delectable little nuggets of sugar. Apparently, they were a HUGE HIT - eyes as big as saucers, savoring every new taste carefully, asking for MORE immediately after finishing each one, you get the idea...

A week went by, and she and I were hanging out on an early weekend morning while Ed was at the gym. (I was still unaware of the marshmallow incident at this point.) She very politely asked me, "Mommy? Me have some MARSH PILLOWS?".

Ummmm, what????? I spent about 10 really focused minutes trying to decipher exactly what she was asking for. Ed finally got home, he filled me in on the events from the previous weekend, and we decoded Izzi's mystery request.

Fast forward a few months.....

I just bought a new bag of mini "marsh pillows" at the grocery store this week for my hot cocoa. I got them out of the pantry tonight and shared a "very special treat" with our Izzi for dessert. The sheer excitement on her face and the sparkle in her eyes makes me think that she'll get more marsh pillows out of this bag than I will, and it will be worth every moment.

So, Merriam, Webster, and whoever else makes those "new word" decisions every year.....

This is an official request to add a new word to our lexicon, and to your official publication. Because, honestly, I think that "marsh pillows" really says it much better than the original, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. Gee-GA thinks "marsh-pillows" is a fabulous new word. Promise to always have them in the house!!!!

    ReplyDelete