Friday, June 15, 2012

A New Kind of Weed

I was explaining to Isabelle the important concept of "eating a r-a-i-n-b-o-w" every day because the colorful foods have lots of good vitamins and nutrients. We drew a rainbow and talked about all the foods we could find in each color that she liked to eat. We then packed a "rainbow lunch" together which she thought was such fun.

She doesn't really eat too many veggies yet so this game became life-altering when she got completely jazzed over packing shredded carrots for her "orange" food. And two days in a row, she came home with no leftovers and she even asked if she could snack on carrots. Really? Who are you and what have you done with my daughter?

The green is a bit more tricky. Like most toddlers, anything green scares the living bujesus out of her. But when she saw the diced cucumbers in my salad the other day, she said she wanted to try one and she loved it. She does eat cucumber slices but I always had to peel the skin off. With my diced version, the skin is still on, and she isn't afraid of them. She is also starting to branch into "salad" a little bit, but her version of salad means taking one lettuce leaf (spinach, romaine, whatever we're having) and completely submerging it in a bowl of ranch dressing, then trying not to drip salad dressing all over the table and herself and she tries to shove it in her mouth. I'm gonna have to work on the salad thing.

We were out of cucumbers yesterday when it came time to pack her Friday lunchbox. I told her I was going to the Farmer's Market today and asked her if she wanted anything special for her rainbow lunch next week. She got very excited when she gave me her whole list. And she ended with, "and Mommy, I think I'm a little tired of salad, so how about for my green food next week, we just do "key-weed" instead. Key-weed it is, honey, good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment