Sunday, June 24, 2012

Debby Downer



I joked as we left Maryland to move to Florida because the Tampa area hasn’t seen a tropical storm or hurricane in a really long time. That meant we were sure to see one this coming hurricane season since the Siler’s were moving there.

We haven’t even made it safely out of the first month of hurricane season and here we are with Tropical Storm Debby. This has been a weird one, none of the storm guys knew which way she was going to track. Some had her going towards Texas, some had her hitting N’awlins, some had them going to the panhandle, and some models had them coming straight for central west coast where Tampa lies.

We haven’t had much wind today here at the house but the yard and the golf course are totally flooded. There are many road closures, trees down, power lines down, and other damage that is just starting to get reported on the local news stations.

We haven’t left the house all day, in fact, I’m still in my pajamas at 9pm. The scariest part of today has been the multiple tornado reports and warnings. It’s kept me on my toes, trying to figure out where I will drag my family if Mr. Jim Cantore tells me to seek an interior room in my home. I don’t have a home. I’m in someone else’s house. And we have no basement or interior room.

The odd thing is, we haven’t “heard” the rain or minimal wind gusts all day. This house is a concrete block of architectural wonder. If we had a storm like this in our home in Edgewater, I would have evacuated already. You can’t hear rain on the roof. You can’t “feel” the house shake with the wind. And we’ve had zero water issues all day (from below, above, or anywhere in between). Granted the yard is totally flooded and the pool overflowed. Pop-Pop Bill has been out there draining water out of it a few times today. But the difference between a very old wooden beach bungalow and a Florida concrete-block newer home is pretty awesome.

And now that Tampa has had a pretty significant storm hit (we got the eastern side of Debby which has delivered almost an entire FOOT of rain), I’m just thinking that we are now safe from any head-on deluge for many years to come.

Debby, you’re going down…




No comments:

Post a Comment