Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hearts, Flowers, and Butterfly Love

Yesterday when I was wrapping Christmas presents, in the same somber mood that many Americans are carrying around this week, I couldn’t help wondering how many years I would get to play Santa. My heart sank thinking of the day that some punk on the playground or school bus would provide the irrefutable evidence that shattered Isabelle’s Christmas miracle.


A few hours later, after she and I had blazed through six glue sticks, 150 foam stickers, and 26 brightly-hued poster boards creating our 26 Letters of Love to Newtown, I realized an even sadder day was on the horizon…the one when she finds out that the world is not all butterflies, hearts, and flowers.

I wish I could see the world through 5-year-old-colored glasses, even to just get through the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment