Sunday, February 13, 2011

Yer So Nasty!

A few years ago, I was in Manhattan with Don and Susan. We were walking down the street when a Mother was walking toward us with a little girl, about the same age that Isabelle is now. She was screaming at her daughter, telling her how naaaaaasty she was. And I mean screaming! In a vile voice as nasty as she thought her own Toddler was. We wanted to grab the poor girl and take her to the nearest CPS office.

Fast forward to this week, Isabelle and I were at the First Mariner Arena in Baltimore. I took Isabelle to the “Disney on Ice – Princess Wishes” show. We had great seats, and had a lovely Mommy-Daughter Day together. And unfortunately, Isabelle learned a LOT of new words.

A group filed into the row in front of us about 30 minutes before the show started. Mom #1 with three kids – a boy about 7 years old, a girl about 4, and a baby in arms. Then came the other family – Mom #2 with a baby and a Toddler girl. Mom #2 went for food (taking her own baby) and left Mom #1 with her own 3 kids and the extra Toddler. Mom #1 went on for the next 20 minutes cussing up a storm at the 4 kids in her charge, including her own and the one that didn’t even belong to her.

Just to set the scene, the kids were being well-behaved by normal standards. But apparently, Mom #1 didn’t think so. Some overheard things were:

  • STOP asking me for that! I told you NO and that means NO! (that part was fine). What f’n part of NO do you NOT understand? Maybe I should give you a good back-hand across your head to get you to understand!
  • How about I pull your pants down in front of all these people and whoop you’re a$$, would that get your attention?
  • (spoken to the “other” Toddler while Mom #2 was off getting food): I can’t believe your Mother bought you that $hit (talking about Cotton Candy). If you f’n get sick in my car again, I’m gonna be pi$$ed, you sick little monkey! (yes, she called this child a monkey and to make matters worse, she was definitively a mixed-race child).
  • If you don’t sit down in that seat, I’m gonna split you’re a$$ open with a hacksaw when we get home so you won’t be able to sit for a week at school

I don’t know why I’m blogging about this other than it really affected me, not to mention Isabelle. She was staring at the woman with wide eyes and a mouth open. I didn’t know what to say. She didn’t understand why Mom #1 was so angry. I didn’t understand why Mom #1 even bothered to bring her children to a fun Disney on Ice show when she clearly didn’t have any interest in bringing joy to her childrens’ lives.

I’ll post a happier message about the day later this week because we really did have an awesome fun day. Love your kids, nieces, nephews, cousins, and grandkids. They really aren't nasty little beasts.




No comments:

Post a Comment