Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where there is smoke, there is no fire...

This post is to serve as a public service announcement to my family and friends. Did you know that residential smoke detectors have a life expectancy of only 7 years? And if your smoke detector also offers CO detection, then the lifespan reduces to only 5 years? Because I didn't until last night.

Last night while making dinner, I had a kitchen full of smoke after putting a cold sauce into a too-hot skillet on the stovetop. The smoke was thick, I had to crack a window. And once I got some fresh air, my mind cleared enough to realize that neither of the TWO smoke detectors on the first floor of our house sounded.

Now, I am really good about taking care of my smoke detectors. I change the batteries when the clocks go forward and back. I dust them to make sure their vents are clear. I press the test button once a month to make sure they are working. (OK, I confess, I'm pyrophobic).

All systems were good to go. Until they weren't. When they did not trigger last night with all the smoke, I then got a match out and held fire right up to the detectors. The one in the living room finally triggered but the one in Isabelle's room never did.

I called the 800 number on the device and they informed me about the 5 and 7 year lifespans. Our detectors double as CO detectors so ours were in the 5-year category. Who knew???

Now the really scary thing is -- I just purchased that detector in 2007 when I was pregnant with Isabelle. We wanted Isabelle's room to have it's own detector since it's right off of the kitchen. But, when I called the 800 number they asked me for the manufacture date. (When you unscrew your detectors from the ceiling/wall, there is a teeny tiny little sticker on the back of the device that has a date - that is your manufacture date). Our detector had a date of 1999!!! I just bought it in 2007, which means I purchased a smoke detector that was already past its life expectancy when I brought it home. What???

So please, after you read this, go check all of your smoke detectors and/or carbon monoxide detectors. Unscrew them from the wall, check the date on the back and if they are older than 5 -- go buy new ones. I'm replacing all three of ours today, and I'll be checking the dates before I leave the store.

You learn something new every day. I'm glad I learned this lesson the easy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment