Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Three going on Thirteen

We're just three days away from the Third Birthday. This week has brought a more-than-usual hectic schedule between me having a work training event this past weekend, an out-of-town guest for two nights, Ed trying to finish his third Grad class before vacation next week, preparing for the pending Birthday Party this coming weekend, me finishing up a creative writing class, ahhhhhh! Calgon, take me away...

My weekday mornings are chaotic under normal circumstances, and I only have one kid! But in recent months, Isabelle has been sleeping late, thus leaving us less time for the required routine (breakfast, getting dressed, finding coats and shoes). This morning, Isabelle apparantly woke up before my alarm even went off. Typically, when she wakes up before me, she comes into my bedroom and stirs me awake, alerting me to the obvious conclusion that it's time for breakfast, getting dressed, and going to school.

This morning, I'm not sure if she tried to wake me or not (I was admittedly in very deep slumber). When my alarm sounded, I performed my normal routine of slapping the snooze button in disgust. Isabelle sauntered into my room, informing me that she already put her clothes on, but now she reallllly wanted her banana and OJ-juice.

As I pried my eyes open, not quite understanding what she was saying, I saw with an unreal fascination that she had, indeed, put her clothes on already. (Note: This was not an outfit I had laid out the night before). She had actually gotten her little stool, pulled it over to her tall dresser, and went through three different drawers, choosing the pieces that any good outfit requires (shirt, pants, socks, shoes, and underthings).

She had chosen her Ravens purple long-sleeve t-shirt, a pair of blue stretchy play pants, matching blue socks, and her Ravens purple boots. She explained, quite pointedly, that her boots and shirt were purple-purple, and they matched! She then explained that she really wanted to wear her purple "Wild Things" shirt but she couldn't figure out how to put it on (ha ha). She was quite proud of herself, and I was speechless with my own pride.

I realized quickly that I've probably been "stepping in" a little more than I should. In our hectic morning routine, I often pull out an outfit and rapidly get her dressed for the day. I do this mainly because of time constraints -- she has been able to put some of her own clothes on for a while now (I just don’t have the patience most days). But, I have been remiss in allowing her the autonomy to try and "do it herself".

Even more surprising was the coordination and utility of the outfit that she chose. Not only did the colors and styles match, but she also chose a good play outfit for daycare. She could have just as easily ended up wearing a too-fancy dress or a Halloween costume.

We’re just three days away from the Third Birthday. Hey Doc, where's the PAUSE button on this time machine???




No comments:

Post a Comment