Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Toothless in Tampa

Iz came home from school on Monday, January 14th and non-chalantly told me she had a loose tooth. I didn't believe her and thought she was making up another one of her stories. Surely, some OTHER kid in her class had a loose tooth so she was imagining hers was too by way of envy.

A short while after we got home, I noticed her with her hands in her mouth. I asked her what she was doing...playing with my loose tooth, of course! So I checked it out myself. And son of a gun if she wasn't being serious! One of those cutie patootie teeth in the front bottom of her smile was hanging by a thread!!! She JUST turned five, so I told her it was way too early!

Then she got scared. Why is it too early? What's going to happen to me?

I laughed, and then cried a little. I assured her, she was going to be JUST fine. It wasn't too early for Isabelle to loose a tooth. It was just too early for her Mommy to handle it. I thought I had another year or so.

So when Daddy came home from work, he checked it out and asked if she wanted it out. She was SO EXCITED that Daddy could make that happen. So he grabbed a towel and did just a few wiggly-twists and out it came. She was a little freaked when she saw the blood but was quickly too overjoyed at the little tiny tooth sitting in his hand that she forgot about the red stuff.

I wasn't expecting her to be so excited about it. She was the first kid in her class to lose a tooth, so maybe that was it? Then a few minutes later she asked, in totally serious mode...."so this means I get to go to Kindergarten tomorrow, right?".

She had been asking about losing her teeth a lot lately, wondering when it was going to start happening. I told her probably around Kindergarten. So she figured since she lost one so early, this was her golden ticket to the big K. I felt bad seeing the deflated look on her face when I explained that wasn't how it worked and she still had to wait until next year.

She got over it pretty quick after finally being able to check out her new toothless smile in the mirror after the red stuff subsided.

Just two days later, she lost her second front bottom tooth. AND she has her new adult horse tooth already halfway in. I guess this catapults us into "the awkward years".

PS: Out of laziness, I'm not going back to proofread and make sure I got all my "loose" and "lose" usages correct. I know the difference, but I have more posts to make and little time LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment